Why Do I Like This?

Why do I sometimes slip out into the night half asleep. Why do I drive all over the city to a home that isn't mine, to be with a family that isn't mine? Why do I stay up all night in hospitals or birthing centres to be at births? Surely there are simpler ways to earn money right?

Well, to be honest, it's selfishness. Also, it's a bit of a power trip to be at a birth. I get to watch life come into the world! Like I'm God!!! OK I don't really think I'm like God...please don't smite me Lord! But I do love the rush of feelings that come after I've stayed with a family all night and finally, FINALLY, their sweet little miracle arrives. Helping women achieve their birth plans or helping them readjust to their "not what I expected but still awesome birth plans" is so so fun. Tiring and sometimes a little intense, but so so fun. I have so many wonderful, funny, sad, endearing, miraculous stories. Most of which sadly I can't share because of, you know, privacy and such.

The job descriptions for Doulas are always so mystic and secretive sounding. In reality the job is: Standing for prolonged periods of time, rubbing back for prolonged periods of time, giving guided breathing exercises for a long period of time, reassuring everyone for a long period of time, sometimes being paid sometimes not, sometimes being treated kindly by hospital staff sometimes not.  Sometimes feeling like you are making a difference sometimes not. WITNESSING A MIRACLE ALWAYS.


Why do I like this?

Because I'm a Doula

Comments

Popular Posts